Canada Garden: More on Container Management

Sunday, August 02, 2009

More on Container Management

This container is turning out really pretty. The hybiscus is from The Farm and it's perennial, so I'll have to find a home for it this fall. The japanese beetles think it's put there to be their snack food. I was knocking them off into soapy water for a while, but then I got tired and now I just knock them off. I know they'll come back, but at least I make them have to work a little harder.

The crack in the container started out as a hairline when I planted it. It's growing along with the rootball.

All summer I've been using flower food that Kathy sent to me a while back--Super Bloom by GreenLight, 12-55-6. I used the last of it a few weeks ago and then started using the common-type food that's everywhere. You probably know which one I mean. A big difference. Fewer blooms, and some drooping foliage. Not good.

So I went over to see Gayle at the Apple Barn for a consult. She says I'm not feeding enough and that the plants are starving. She recommends Ferli-lome's Blooming & Rooting Food. 9-59-8. Full strength, most days. So that's the new plan. As for the crack, I'm okay with it cracking wide open as long as the blooms keep going til frost!

No comments: