Canada Garden: Book Update

Sunday, February 07, 2010

Book Update

Did I tell you about the Wally Lamb book, The Hour I First Believed? It was about a couple who worked at Columbine and their life after the shooting.  I loved it.  Sad, but really good.  And I read Columbine a while back too--by one of the journalists who covered the story.  It made me think about our trip to NIU, after the  Valentine's Day shooting in 2008.

Then I thought I should stay away from shootings for a while, so I went to The Testimony, by Anita Shreve.  Her story also takes place in a school where things go terribly wrong at a high school party.  Next was The Spire by Richard North Patterson.    It also took place at a school, but this time the main character was an alum who returned as the administrator and had to clear up a mystery that occured while he was still a student.
On the way back from Kentucky, I read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.  She has a blog about her project too.   It was a fun read.   Cause we all want to be happy.  And a lot of us want everybody else to be happy too.  Wish we could all feel that way. . .

And now I'm starting on Chris Bohjalian's Secret of Eden.  My mom told me about it because she knows that I'll never get over what CB did to us with Double Bind. 

Betsy is reading No Diapers for Ducky and If You Give a Moose a Muffin.

  Speaking of books, Lori has a fabulous new library in her house.  Beautiful recycled floor to ceiling bookshelves that are full of the books she and Todd love.  Be sure to tell me what you're reading too!

No comments: