Canada Garden: Book Review

Sunday, June 05, 2011

Book Review

Seems lately the only way I get to read is when we travel.  Mark drives, I read :)  We haven't been fishing on the boat this summer, but that's really good reading time too.

So Much for That:  A Novel by Lionel Shriver.  Be sure to put this one on your reading list.  Lots of bad stuff happened in it--getting cancer, going broke, working at a job just to keep health insurance. . . I won't tell you the rest, but it was full of characters that I liked and it kept me wanting to know what was going to happen next.

Unbroken:  A story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand  An inspiring story of a World War II survivor who went through the hell of being captured and held prisoner by the Japanese.  I never read war stories, but this one was definitely worth it.

And I Shall Have Some Peace There:  Trading in the Fast Lane for My Own Dirt Road by Margaret Roach.  If you follow Margaret's A Way to Garden blog, you know she used to work for Martha Stewart Living.  When you read the book, you find out she really really really wanted to quit her job and move to her country home.  So she did.  She retired from her job and went to live with her garden.  Which is what I hope to do in three years, eleven months, and 25 days :)  My favorite quote from the book:  "Be grateful to everyone.  Those on your favorites list, and those on your s**t list."  It's posted on my desk at work.

So Mark is not driving me to the airport week after next, but I'll have some good reading time while flying to see my mama and my sis.  On the reading list is The Postmistress--about a woman who works at the post office during the war.  For some reason, she doesn't deliver some of the mail and causes all sorts of problems.   I'll let you know if it's on my favorites list :)

No comments: