Canada Garden: Isaac & Kynda's Best-Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Isaac & Kynda's Best-Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies

A long time ago, when Isaac was young, he and I made chocolate chip cookies together over and over--trying to get them to come out soft and chewy instead of hard as brick bats.  What's a brick bat?  I don't know, but I heard my great-grandmother use that saying when I was a little girl.  I assume they used to call bricks "brick bats".  But maybe there was such a thing as a bat made out of brick??  I will have to ask my mama to see if she remembers.

Anyway, the point is, Isaac and I came up with the best-ever recipe for chocolate chip cookies.  It's pretty simple.  Take the toll-house recipe off the bag of chocolate chips and make 3 changes.

1)  Half the butter.  One stick instead of two.
2)  Twice the chocolate chip cookies.  You knew this was going to be included, didn't you?
3)  Use at least two kinds of chocolate chips. We used to use one bag of milk chocolate chips and one bag of semi-sweet.  But now the grocery store also has dark chocolate chips.  So use some combination of dark&milk&semi or dark&milk or dark&semi or semi&milk, etc.  You get the idea.
4)  There is a fourth rule, but it's not really a change to the recipe.  It's just a cookie-baking rule--don't bake the cookies too long.  There's a fine fine line between underbaked, just right, and hard-as-brick-bats.  In my oven, it's 9-10 minutes at 350.  The edge of the cookie is just turning golden brown  and the middle still looks just a tad gooey.

These days I don't bake cookies very often.  Too many calories.  Despite watching our blood sugar, we're also watching the scale creep up in the wrong direction.

When I bake these best-ever cookies, I think about Judson and Isaac when they were little.  I am so proud of the grown men they have become.  And the sight of Betsy smiling with  chocolate smears on her face--well,  I am blessed beyond blessed.  




No comments: